Monday, August 5, 2019

Training Overview #8 – Week of July 29 thru Aug 4 , 2019 – Week off Sorta


Overview:
2019 Bourbon & Bluegrass Century
Having been dealing with hamstring issues in my right leg when running for a couple weeks now, no issues with it when riding, which limited my running I decided to take at least a week off from running and started this week.  I will run 3 miles this coming Tuesday and see how things are feeling and if any issues I will take another week off from running as with the Grand Canyon R2R2R in October now is the time to rest the hamstring and get it better.  That said it was not an entire week of rest.

I did use the extra time to do more stretching and do some body weight exercises to work out the kinks in my legs and back.  My schedule was pretty screwy this week so only got in one ride mid week then the Bourbon & Bluegrass Century on Saturday.  Hard to tell how the hamstring is doing but I have noticed that while before I could feel it was there even on a ride or while walking or sitting, but no real pain, by the end of this week I did not notice it at all– good news I am hoping.

Wednesdays 40 mile road ride was a nice paced ride where I got close to a 20mph average and felt good the whole way.  For this ride I started in a lower gear and rode comfortably and then during the ride I did a number of tempo sections – even getting my PR on a pretty steep hill. 

For the Bourbon & Bluegrass Century Saturday the goal was to ride with a group and set a good pace from the start and that is what happened, well for 35 miles at least.  For the first 35 miles we averaged close to 23 and then at a rest stop a few of us thought we were stopping to get water but that was not the case as some went on.  So we were down to about 4 or 5 people and we rode at a good pace for the next 12 miles where the next stop was.  One of the goals of this ride for me was to not stop as often, and only quickly for more water when I did stop, so that my elapsed time was shorter so when we got to mile 47 I went on while the others stopped – also thinking  maybe I could catch up to the larger group that went on at the next rest stop.  My bad, as the larger group we had been with was at the rest stop I bypassed waiting for us but I could not see the stop as it was off the course some – I should have thought of tis as they had not stopped yet and this rest area was at about half-way.  I did see a group ahead and thought I could catch then so pushed pretty hard for 5-7 miles doing from 22-24 mph but realized that they were going as hard as I was since I picked up some distance but nowhere near enough to catch on and I finally blew up and had to relax for a few miles or have an issue making it to the finish.  Thus started my solo 55 mile ride– did catch the group ahead at the 60 mile aid station but they were leaving as I pulled in but I needed some water and by the time I was done, even if only 2-3 minutes, they were probably a mile down the road and I would never could catch them.  My goal then became to keep my moving time under 5 hours for the ride and not get caught from behind – got both of those even if I only got under 5 hours by a few seconds.

While I was bummed to ride over half the ride alone it did turn out to be a good ride for training as my elapsed time was only about 12 minutes, 2+ of which was being caught at an intersection waiting on a couple semi-trailers to get through, more than my moving time so I was able to get 4 rest stops done in about 10 minutes total.  I never bonked but was for sure tired and hot.  I also, at about 90 miles or so, got a major adductor, inner thigh, cramp which slowed me for a couple miles but was able to work though it and get over the last few little hills that felt much bigger after 90 miles.  The ride is pretty flat with what hills there are being in the last 1/2 of the ride.  Again, while it would have been nice to ride with the group in a pace-line looking back this was probably the better training for me as I am sure I will have a good chance of getting caught out in the middle of nowhere on my own during the Dirty Kanza 200  next year and for much longer than the 57 miles I rode alone today.

As an aside I rode with the new SFuels-Race formula today and it seems to have worked well and I really like the light flavor.  Need to work on if I am drinking enough, or too much, and when as I tend to be one who once I start drinking fluids seems to want it non-stop – even feeling a little bloated at times but still wanting more.  One difference in this ride was I worked to get the ride going pretty quickly so did not really get in a good warm-up so that may have affected my nutrition some or at the least was a difference from other rides.  I will need to work on this next week as I am sure the Kentucky Gravel Championships will go out faster and I want to stay close as long as possible not as much for the racing as to not get lost and with some help for lines to take on the course.  I also used the AMPHuman PRLotion and am sold that it is works.  Not in a miraculous extra energy sort of way but just that it does seem to keep, buffer, the lactic acid at bay, the result of the lotions bicarbonate that goes into your legs, or wherever you use it, transdermaly,.  An extra benefit that is worth it if nothing else came from using it is that my legs feel much better the next day.

Relive 'Bourbon & Bluegrass Century'


Diet Notes:
Nothing really to report this week other than kept diet around my normal levels of 100-150 grms of carbs a day with some more and some less but in that range.  Also, as I mentioned above I need to look at long ride/run/race nutrition for those times I go out harder for long events as it does work the body differently.  This seems to come into play more when riding than running as for long runs it is much easier to go out easy to get the body warmed up but for long rides in a group missing the pace line early puts one at a large disadvantage in energy usage.  More to come on this as while I Dirty Kanza I do not want to go out hard I am sure I will get dragged along as, again, do not want to miss some easier miles in the pace line.  As usual below is my fueling for this past weekends Century:

Pre-ride meal the night before:
  • 10oz Ribeye, Sweet potato with regular butter, side salad with Ranch – did have a couple dinner rolls that I gave into.
  • Not the usual pre-ride meal but a ribeye is a good choice as it is higher in fat and then get carbs with the sweet potato. Listen to this podcast with Jeff Browning and he when asked about his pre-race meal the night before he eats much the same before an ultra and I have heard Zack Bitter eat much the same.
Century Pre-Ride Fueling:
  • Modified Bullet  Proof Coffee  (MBPC) – Coffee, Butter, Coconut Oil, Collagen, Raw Egg, Heavy Cream and Chocolate Primal Fuel
  • One 20oz bottle of water with 2 scoops UCAN, 2 scoops SFuels-Train and one Vesap Concentrate
Ride Fueling;
  • 8 – S!Caps – 2 each hour – was warm out
  • 4 – 27oz Bottles of water with SFuels-Race
  • 2 – 27oz Bottles  of just water
  • 1 - Vespa at 50 miles
  • ½ a UCAN Coffee bar over course of ride
  • Took a 2 Maurten 100 Gels – one at about 60 miles and one at 85
Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides:
  • Monday & Tuesday: Rest  (Did do stretching and some body weight exercises)
  • Wednesday: Ride –  40.8Miles
  • Thursday & Friday: Rest –  (Did do stretching and some body weight exercises Thursday)
  • Saturday: Ride –  102 Miles    
  • Sunday: - Rest
Totals:
  • Running Miles –  0
  • Riding Miles – 142.8
  • Total Time – 7:02
Month End Totals
  • Running Miles – 89.3
  • Riding Miles – 458.8
  • Total Time -  41:51:59 
Conclusions:
I have a PT appointment on Monday and as I do not like to run or ride after them I will give my hamstring a try on Tuesday or Wednesday and do a 3 mile route that is out and back so that I can cut it short if there are issues.   Depending on how that run goes I will run a couple more times but keep the runs to 3 miles just to ease back into it.  Also, as I am riding the Kentucky Gravel Championships on a tough 61+ mile course this weekend I will probably only get in a 30-40 mile easy ride during the week so as to be ready for the rocks, mud, dirt, creeks and heat this weekend.  This will only be my second gravel/mtn bike ride so is just all part of the process of getting ready for next years Dirty Kanza and learning to ride off road.  While this race is on county roads they are in many places pretty rugged for a road.  The goals for the race are, in order: Have fun & Finish,  No flats or mechanicals, Get under 6 hours, Do the best I can in the 50+ age group – oh yea and maybe this should be first: Not Get Hurt.

As always if you have questions or comments leave a note below in the comments.


Last Week's Overview #7






No comments:

Post a Comment