Monday, September 30, 2019

Training Overview #16 – Week of Sept 23 thru 29, 2019 – The Final Test & 17 Days Till R2R2R

Overview:

This week was supposed to have more running miles and minimal riding.  Well, that sorta happened as I got my most running miles in some time (43) and longest run  (20.2) as well but due to some tiredness I decided not to ride this week and as I worked late a few days it worked out for the best.  While riding is way less stressful on my body it still uses energy and creates stresses sometimes I neglect that aspect so this week actually I paid attention to that fact.  With more running miles I figured it was best to not ride this week, especially with my work schedule.

The plan for the week was to stress my foot and legs some by running more miles to make sure they were ready for a run at the Grand Canyon.  I am not saying they are primed and ready to go but more that they will have the ability to complete the run.  I would rather have had a failure this week  than in the canyon. The good news  - soreness was there but no failure.

So as to get more miles in but also protect my foot I ran two runs in a day twice then one long run on the weekend. to limit running to three days even with 5 runs  The two runs a day is good for me but when working in So Cal the hard part is I have to get up real early and do the first run at around 4am.  That said Monday I ran a 4 +miler and 6+ miler and then on Wednesday ran two  6 milers with the second run a little later than usual due to work but got to run the trail in Fullerton which was good.

After two days rest I ran 20.2 in the Chino Hills State Park on what is mostly jeep trials, with only about 1 mile of single track, and not too much climbing at 2700+FT.  Ran with my friend Jamie who met me 3.5 miles or so into the run and we ran out to the end of the park and back.  The plan for the run was to run comfortably knowing I would probably be walking more during our R2R2R.  Another aspect of the run was to try out my Topo Ultraventures on the run as well as us my Orange Mud Endurance Pack V2.0 and new XOSkin Shorts and Calf Sleeves – I already wear their socks.

The equipment worked fine with the only question still being with the shoes.  I liked the padding on the Ultraventure but the Terraventures fit a little better.  So still need to make a final decision but I think either will work.  The issues I have with the Ultraventures is what I have with most shoes as I have a quite low volume foot so most shoes are a little sloppy.  To overcome this I often tighten my shoes too much and then get a lot of soreness on the tendon on top of my foot, as I did this time.

The Orange Mud Endurance Pack V2.0 worked great with no chafing.  I have used it for riding off-road and it was great but when I started running had some initial concerns, as it seemed to ride up in my armpits.  However as I ran I had no issues and no rubbing.  While I did not try it out I did buy the add on for the pack to have a little more carrying capacity during our R2R2R.

As far as the XOSkin clothing the shorts, my first time running in compression shorts, were great.  They felt a little thicker than some but did not overheat in them and was great to have no chafing and for sure felt compression which seemed to help my hamstrings and quads.  As far as the compression calf sleeves they wee comfortable as well.  I already use the Toe Socks but the only thing is I wish they were thicker to help take up some of the volume in my shoes.  That said I had no blisters so that was good.

Another key item I use on most, if not all, longer runs and rides is AMPHuman's PRLotion.  This is a lotion you put on that allows bicarb to the muscles transdermally.  This helps not only on the run but also helps to reduce soreness in the following days.  While I was sore the next day with the usual DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness), especially from a run much longer than I may have been ready for it was less than it could have been.

As far as the run I started off feeling a little tired but by 3 miles or so was feeling good.  Ran most of the hills but did walk some of them just to get used to walking which I am sure I will be doing in a couple weeks.  As far as my foot it started getting sore around 13 miles which is where the course I was on goes mostly downhill.  Downhills are where my foot hurts the most and in some ways it is good the R2R2R finishes uphill.  By the time I was done I felt good pretty much everywhere but in my right foot.  I think this soreness came from two things.  One is simply the Posterior Tibial Tendon issues  I have where it connects with my Accessory Navicular bone.  The other issue is one I have caused in the past in tightening my shoes too tightly to make them feel snug and it creates pressure across the tendons that come down the front of my foot.  I will probably add elastic laces like I use on other shoes as this seems to help.  I was for sure stiff when I got off the car after going back to the hotel but no more than usual so all in all a successful run.

This run was also a run to work on fat burning, more on that below.

Relive 'Chino Hills 20'

Diet:
As I have done the previous two weeks on longer rides I wanted to work on fat adaption during this run so limited my fueling to see how things go.  I know some who do this do not take extra with them to take away the temptation to pop a gel when not needed but for me I take a few gels and other items just in case I have one of those days.  I would rather give in and take in fueling not planned for than to suffer home and then suffer the next day due to the after affects of fueling issues.

For this run I only planned to use at most my 2 liter bladder with water and 2 scoops of SFuels-Train (Total of 100 Cals and 2 grams of Carbs) as well as take 2 S!Caps about halfway just to make sure I had the electrolytes I needed.   Bottom line, and the cooler temps being no more than 70F with cloud cover, all I used was about ¾ of the water and SFuels mix so thus only took in about 50 Cals and 1 gram of carbs for 20 miles and 3:23 of running.  I did not feel as if  I was bonking and truth is I was not that hungry when done.  In looking at my HR the first 6 miles are off as the HRM was not connected till about 6 miles and after that was pretty controlled and just by how I felt in the fat burning zone.  I would have to say another successful workout that relied on fat reserves rather than external calories.

For the R2R2R run I do plan to use the SFuels-Race formula to take in more crabs and will eat more as being such a long run I do not want to get into a deficit and thus will just keep up the fueling.

Pre-Run:
  • Modified Bullet  Proof Coffee  (MBPC) – Coffee, Butter, Coconut Oil, Collagen, Raw Egg, Heavy Cream and Chocolate Primal Fuel
  • ½ Cup Oatmeal
Run Fueling;
  • 2 – Liter bladder with water and 2 scoops of SFuels-Train
  • However only drank ¾ of bladder so more like 1 scoop
  • 2 – S!caps
Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides:
Monday: Run#1 – 4.2 Miles
Monday: Run #2 – 6.1 Miles
Tuesday:  Rest
Wednesday: Run #1 – 6.5 Miles
Wednesday:  Run #2 – 6.0 Miles
Thursday and Friday: Rest Days
Saturday:  Run – 20.2 Miles
Sunday:  Rest

Totals:
Running Miles –  43 Miles
Riding Miles –  0 Miles
Total Time – 6:42  Hours

Conclusions and the Week Ahead:
While as I write this on Sunday night my foot is sore it is much better than after the run and with 2 weeks to rest it and also strengthen it the R2R2R is a go.  I am sure my foot will be sore during the run but what is good is it does not hurt when walking and since I am sure we will be walking more at the Grand Canyon than I did Saturday things should be good.

For the next week the plan is to limit my miles to no more than 15-20 miles, probably closer to 15 or less, and get in 3 rides.  Will do a long ride next Saturday – not sure how far yet as may depend on whom else is riding, the weather and where I ride.  While I want to rest I need to keep things moving so will rest more the following week and the week of the run.  I find when I rest more I tend to stiffen up so do not want that to happen.

Bottom line is my base work is in and would I have liked more running mileage, yes, but with foot issues it was not going to happen so am going with what I could do.  Have to admit I am excited to see how well this mix of riding and running will work.  This run of the Grand Canyon will be my last Ultra for some time with Boston being the longest I will run in the next year as I work to get my foot figured out.  That said simply because I will not be “running” ultrs that does not mean will not be goin long as that will be done on the bike.


As always if you have questions let me know in the comments below.


Last Week's Overview #15






2 comments:

  1. I took m&ms, hard candy and water on my r2r2r and had a lemonade on the way out of phantom ranch...lost some time there waiting for the girl to open up shop. Completed it in 12:30. Wore a fanny pack with a water bottle. Don't over pack and over think this. Just train!

    ReplyDelete