Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Interview Tuesday: Meet Indiana and Masters Runner - B.J. Thomas

One of the great things about being able to interview a variety of runners is to hear their stories, which are as varied as the runners themsleves.  However, Stories that while individual, and varied, in nature in many ways apply to all of us and that is one of the goals of the “Interview Tuesdays.”  In today’s interview with Bryan (B.J.) Thomas you will see how he changed his life from being at 380lbs in 2010 to being in the 220's and running a 50 miler in 2017


Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc…..
On March 7th  of this year I turned 60!.  I was born in Seymour, In.& lived in Austin, In (35 mi. N. or Louisville on 65) until college. I then went to Vincennes U. & Indiana State. And got a B.S in Broadcasting & Psychology. After a few short career hops I was six years in Bloomington, In. and the rest in Huntingburg, In (where I am now) working at WITZ radio in Jasper. 


What is your profession?
I am the afternoon announcer (used to be disc jockey but everything is digital now, plus "announcer" sound so much more dignified. lol) at WITZ in Jasper, Indiana (104.7 FM and we do reach a long way - with streaming  at witzamfm.com).  I've been in this spot since late 1989.  I worked a few different summer jobs in high school (factory, garbage man at a state lake, etc.) but radio has been it for me in the "adult" world of making a living.  It's about all I know how to do so I plan to hang in there.


How did you start running and what prompted you to do so? 
In 2010 I had blubbered out to 380 pounds.  A combination of two things sent me over the edge to do something about it.  One, we had recently attended my son's Basic Training graduation and I saw many lean and muscular bodies and felt very negative about myself.  However, I still didn't really have that mirror shock of what I actually looked like.  At the final home game of football season they had a Senior Night and with my son in band, he was introduced and my wife and I went on the field to walk with him. The next morning someone had posted a picture of my wife, son, and myself.  I was totally aghast at what I saw.  I had no idea that was what I looked like. It was beyond shock. I realize the person meant no ill will by their post and just wanted to show pics of a proud moment for parents.  However, it triggered something in me and at that moment  I knew I was going to lose the weight.  

I had always read nutrition and exercise books (key word is read) and from time to time had forayed into weight lifting, etc. and kept it reasonable gaining and losing pounds from time to time.  However, this time I had just let myself go.  I had been spending a lot of time practicing guitar and that doesn't burn many calories. 
Before Taking up Running

I had stopped soda ("pop" where I grew up) long ago but I ate everything and anything and in massive quantities.  I went to the books and started an eating change. Out went any snacking and I ate a sort of modified Atkins hybrid diet.  For exercise, I would walk a mile or so until I came to a hill, then run up it as hard as I could (which wasn't much at the time) and by the time I made it to the top I was exhausted. By the time I made it to the next hill I was ready to go again.  5 hills 4 mornings per week was my routine. I also did a lot of kettlebell swings and other kettlebell exercises.  I jumped rope (without a rope) a minute at a time.  I spent time on an old stationary bike. Old-School gym class jumping jacks and modified (radically) push-ups were also a part of the program.  I even walked in the living room with some "walk in place" dvd's.  It didn't take all that long for people to start making comments.  At first I just sort of brushed it off and didn't say anything.  Just kept going.  Finally, I would answer with "yeah, I'm trying to do a little something about it" and change the subject.  

Back to motivation.  I was getting tired of paying extra each time I went up a pants size. My next pair would have to be 50 inch waist and I said that it wouldn't. I was stopping there.  Also, I couldn't wear my wedding ring. I told my wife that I would be able to wear it again.  She said to just get it resized and not worry about it. I said that I would lose the weight instead.  Well, I still am unable to wear that ring because now it is too big!

I hadn't seen my doctor since "before". He definitely did not anticipate what he saw when I went for an exam.  He told me that the last time he saw me that he made note to himself of all the conditions and possible health problems I could have a short time down the road. Also, the number of prescriptions I would need.  Although I still am "obese" by his BMI chart he told me that whatever I'm doing is working and he has never seen anything like it with any of his patients (doing it all on their own and keeping the weight off). 


How long have you been running?
Apparently word was that I was being seen running around town. Well, I hadn't really been running (except for the hills) but after my wife told me what she'd heard I figured I might as well start.  Three blocks and I had to stop. Going a little longer the next time.  You know how it starts.  So it was late 2010 for the walking and some time in early-mid 2011 for the transition to running. 

My wife and some of her sisters walked in the Southern Indiana Classic Half-Marathon at Evansville (a good race that no longer exists) so I went to it and encouraged them. Not long after, I walked a local 5k in March 2011.  Apparently, I could scoot along pretty good as I was surprisingly mid-pack. Of course, there were a lot of slow recreational walkers but I still had the fear of being last. From there it didn't take long until I was running the full 5k in races.  In fact, I have four boxes of shirts now!  


Besides the many 5k's i've ran a number of 10k's.  25 half-marathons, 2 full marathons, and 1 50 miler.  Also, a few other distances (see pr's).


Did you participate in any other sports over the years?
I played a little (by that I mean I spent a lot of time on the bench) high school basketball. At 6-4, 235 the coach didn't think I fit into his scheme. I also threw shot for the track team and played baseball.  Nothing of major accomplished in any of them but I had fun and picked up several letters.  One letter I didn't get was Cross Country.  The coach (who was also the AD) told everyone that any kid who came out for the team and finished the season would get a letter. Always looking for a letter, I went out.  I was lapped the first day (and in those days it was only 2 miles total) and after a talk with the coach it was sort of decided for me that it may not be my sport.


So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past. 

  • 5k - 25:34   Oct. 2015 - Barb Raben Memorial - Evansville, In. 
  • 6k - 32:45   Feb. 2018 - Super 6k - Evansville
  • 8k - 42:41   Nov.  2015 - Drumstick Dash - Evansville
  • 10k - 56:51  April. 2016 - Restoration Run - Evansville
  • 12k - 1:12:09  Dec. 2017 - 12k's Of Christmas – Evansville
  • 10 mile - 1:42:25  April - 2014 - Papa John's 10 – Louisville
  • Half-Marathon - 2:12:33 - March 2016 - Total Fitness - Bowling Green, Ky.
  • Marathon - 5:12:38 - April 2013 - Carmel Marathon (Ind.)
  • 50 Miles - 13:15 - Nov. 2017 - Tunnel Hill - Vienna, Il.

What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them?
Probably Tunnel Hill (50 Miles).  Some people didn't think I should be doing it and doubted I'd finish the distance.  Of course, I knew better.  I'm entered in the 100 there this November!


What is your favorite distance to run and race?
Tunnel Hill 50
I'm not really sure.  5k's are hard. However, in my area that's about it so I run a lot of them. I don't do speed workouts as such so I do a couple of 5k's a month and it seems to cover that.  I like the half-marathon but am not overly enamored with it.  The marathon was interesting but my main interest in doing another would be to beat my time from 2013.  So, that leaves the ultra distances, where I feel at home because everyone (well almost everyone!) is running slow.  My main thought at Tunnel Hill was that I’m finally among my people...it was unbelievable to have that feeling.  I'd have to say, though that my favorite race is more than likely the one that I'm running at the time.  I just like to race. It's what keeps me running. I don't get that much out of running by myself around home.  I have to be training for something and racing.  It keeps me motivated and hungry!


Do you have any long-range plans?
Well, with this being my first year in a new age group I might see if I can find any "speed" and try to strike for some bling while I'm the new guy.  I also have an idea on race walking and entering the Senior Games.  Not sure if anything will come of it, but it's an idea.  Also, travel distance and getting time away from work, etc. are holding me back but there are a lot of ultra's I'd like to go for!


What do you like best about living and running in KY, well in your case Indiana?
I'm in Southern Indiana but close to Kentucky. Other than a few years I've always been within an hour of the Ohio River.  From Huntingburg I can get to Owensboro in about 35 minutes.  My area is pretty hilly so there's a lot of built-in hill work.  I notice this helping a lot when I go to races and people complain about hills that are much less than what I run on practically everywhere around here.  I do wish there were more trails within a short drive. It's so easy to just go out the door and run on the streets.  The good part of that is with it being a small town there isn't a lot of problem with traffic. Most people are nice and give runners plenty of room.  The negative side is that nearly all the races are 5k's and we need closer Ultra's.  Of course, most people think 5k's are a long race and I can understand that (even though I don't agree with that now). 


#drinksword  #pushyourboundaries   #swordselect


4 comments:

  1. Great interview and good to learn more about B.J. I met B.J. and his wife at last year's Tunnel Hill last year. He was in great spirits when I crossed paths with him almost 40 miles into his race and I'm happy to hear he's taking on the 100 mile distance at Tunnel Hill later this year. Go get it, B.J.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Mark, always nice to get them. I will be out there with BJ, Lord Willing, to do the Tunnel Hill 100.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading this interview about BJ. I have known him for about 55 years and wondered how he came to be a runner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspirational. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete