Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Interview Tuesday: Meet Kentucky and Masters Runner - Jeff Golden

It is Interview Tuesday again and this week I talk to Jeff Golden of Somerset Kentucky.  I met Jeff at a local race I run most years and we both ran Boston in 2016, but he did much better than I.  It was nice to learn a little more about him through this interview.  I hope you are enjoying these interviews as in some ways it seems to make the running community seem closer to me as I learn about people I do not see very often or much at all but now know something about them when I see their names at races.


Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc….. 

I’m 48 years old and live in Somerset.  I was born in Cincinnati, OH but have lived most of my life in Kentucky.  I grew up in Williamsburg, KY.  I went to College and Medical School at the University of Kentucky.  I have been happily married to my wonderful wife for more than 20 years.  We have four awesome children (3 boys and 1 girl).  My 2 oldest are in college. My youngest son is a sophomore in high school and my daughter is in 8th grade.  We are a healthy and active family.   I am a member and a deacon at Beacon Hill Baptist Church where I teach middle school boys in Sunday school.  I’m living the dream.


What is your profession? 

Family Physician


How did you start running and what prompted you to do so? 

I always ran a little on the treadmill since high school to try to stay in shape but wasn’t always very consistent with it.  I ran my first 5 K at our church about 5 years ago and really enjoyed it.  I surprised myself by running a 24 minute 5 K and I thought, “Wow, this makes me feel like an athlete again.”  I liked the age groups and that everyone could run together and compete.  My friend, Gordon Turner, had decided to run a marathon and asked if I would like to train with him.  I decided to go for it so my second race was a marathon.  I was hooked after that.   I immediately started setting more goals. I really enjoy being on a structured training plan.


How long have you been running? 

About 5 years


Did you participate in any other sports over the years? 

Yes, I loved football and baseball growing up and through high school.


Did you run in grade school, High School or College? If so where?

No. I just ran to condition for football.  I ran one cross country race in middle school without training for it and it almost killed me.  I had a new respect for runners after that.


So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past.

  • 5K- 19:14 (2017 Over my Head 5K, Somerset, KY)
  • 10K – 41:32 (2017 Bluegrass 10K)
  • Half Marathon 1:33:39 (2017 Lake Cumberland Half)
  • Marathon 3:19:21 (2017 Monumental Marathon, Indianapolis)


What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them? 

2016 Boston Marathon.  It was an unbelievable experience running that race with so many fantastic athletes.  I remember running along just soaking it all in and I ran upon a male runner wearing sandals, a skirt, and a frilly shirt.  It was the Tarahumara Native American Arnulfo Quimare from the book “Born To Run!”  I knew he was running in the race but I never dreamed of running with him. I ran right beside Arnulfo for several miles.  I looked for a MarathonFoto photographer hoping to get a picture of the moment but unfortunately I didn’t get a photo.  That whole experience was great.

My other favorite race was my first marathon, The Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon in 2014. I remember very vividly so much about that race.  One memory sticks out above all the rest.  My son, John, is an inspiration to me.  He has type 1 diabetes and does a great job taking care of himself.  At mile 8 we ran though Churchill Downs.  My family had been there the fall before for a JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes.  I was overcome with emotion as I ran along the same road we had walked a few months before.  Tears flowed down my face.  My thought was this:  “John can’t quit so neither can I.”  That has been my mantra many times since then.  When I’m feeling rough in a race or on a training run, I think about John and the other folks with type 1diabetes who have to keep battling and struggling and WINNING every single day.  Now that’s a marathon.


What is your favorite distance to run and race? 

Marathon


Do you have any long-range plans? 

Stay healthy.  I would love to travel and do some races around the country.  My wife and I would love to hike the Appalachian Trail someday. 


What do you like best about living and running in KY?  

The people.  I love my church and my patients and my running friends.  I also love the beauty of Kentucky: the lakes, creeks, mountains, blue sky, and forests.  I love trail running and the fresh air and the wildlife.  I love to take it all in as I’m running.


What do you struggle with most with regards to running? 

CROSS TRAINING!   I would rather just get out there and run but I know it’s important to do my core, hip and upper body exercises to try to stay injury free.  It’s a struggle for me to find time to do those workouts.  I can always find time to run because I love it so much.


What do you see as a trend in running? 

I am seeing more folks getting out there and doing races.  We had about 100 co-workers from my office run or walk in a race last year.  I have many co-workers really working at it to get a PR this year.   Let’s Go LCMA Run/Walk Team!!!


If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say to those that are running to encourage them what would it be?

  1. Run slowly.  You need to build up that aerobic base.  You will be able to run further and faster (and stay healthier) if you train at a slower pace most of the time (80 % of the time).  Run slowly enough to carry on a conversation.
  2. Try to land lightly on your mid foot or forefoot.  Running can be great for your joints long term if you aren’t pounding down on your heels.  Run as if you were running barefoot and land lightly on your feet.  You could practice by running barefoot some on the grass or on the treadmill.
  3. Eat Healthy.  Try to avoid sugar and white flour and get as many servings of healthy vegetables in your diet as you can.

Do you have a website or other social media site you would like to share? 

I’m on Facebook but I don’t post much.


Any closing comments? 

A couple of things:

  1. Running is a gift from God.  I tell my running friends sometimes that we have been blessed with the ability to run and the discipline to train.  I don’t take that for granted.
  2. Running is great for mental/emotional health.  I can find myself getting anxious at times and running really helps that.  I love to run after work because it helps me to clear my mind and relax with my family.  I routinely encourage my patients who are experiencing anxiety, depression, PTSD, or OCD symptoms to try their best to get 150 minutes of moderate cardiovascular exercise in each week.  It is great medicine for the body and mind.



No comments:

Post a Comment