Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Interview Tuesday: Massachusettsan, Masters Runner and Cancer Survivor Chris Moulding


I have not met Chris but was told about him by Chad Cloutier and am glad he did as Chris has a great story - Enjoy.

Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc…..
I’m 43 years old, born in Taunton, MA but now live in Wareham, MA (closer to the beach.. 😊). I’m married to my awesome wife Katie and we have three amazing kids.  I earned by undergrad from Bridgewater State College (now University), and just recently earned my MBA from Fitchburg State College.  Besides my formal education, I also served 7 years in the Army National Guard as a Chinook Crew Chief and did 2 back to back deployment starting in 2001. 

What is your profession?
I work for Zipcar in Boston as the Senior Manger for Field Marketing where I oversee all of our field marketing activities across North America. 

How did you start running and what prompted you to do so? 
I started running in high school on the cross country and track teams. My father ran in high school and at the time held a number of high school records. I wanted to follow in his footsteps.  I also wanted to be get to meet new friends, especially since the high school as a regional school so we had a number of new kids no one knew. 

How long have you been running?
Since starting to run in high school, I never really stopped. So something like 25+ years in some way shape or form.

I understand you are a cancer survivor – can you share about that and how you used running to fight it.
When I was 32 I was diagnosed with Colon Cancer. At the time I had already completed a number of marathons and was fairly fit, so the news came as a huge shock.

Treatment involved surgery and 6 months of chemo. Through out that entire time all of my running came to a full stop. I was weak and always tired so running was just not in the cards, but was never far from my mind.

A few months into my treatment I had my birthday. For years I made it a point (and still do today) to run on my birthday no matter what the weather. My wife knew I wanted to run on my birthday so she called up a running buddy to go out with me in case I had any trouble. I ran 2 miles and it took forever because I need to stop a few times and walk, but I got it done. I felt so sick, but remember that run as a key moment in my attitude toward treatment and how I was going to not just beat cancer, but I was going to crush it.

Another key moment came while sitting in a chemo chair for several hours. The Ironman World Championship was playing on TV. While watching it I couldn’t help but think how awesome that looked. I told myself sitting right there that if I beat this thing, I’m going to do that race someday! It’s funny looking back at it now because I had no clue about Triathlon, I didn’t own a bike, and I had no clue how to swim in open water…all I knew was how to run a marathon. 

That set me off on a crazy journey of self discovery that challenged myself in so many ways. It took me 5 years to build up my training to take on my first full distance Ironman at Lake Placid. Since then I did two more full Ironman races and will take on my fourth next week at Ironman Maryland, still looking to someday make to Hawaii.

How is your health now?
Today I’m cancer free and still use running and training for triathlons as a way to keep cancer in check.  Keeping myself in the best shape possible I feel is something I can do and control. I can’t control if cancer might come back, but by staying fit I feel like I would be best positioned to take on cancer again if needed.

Did you participate in any other sports over the years – I understand you do, or have done, obstacle course races?   Also, here you had an accident at the first obstacle at one of the races – can you share about that?
So yes, I’ve done a several Spartan races in the New England area. I’ve taken on both the sprint distance and super.  After doing one Spartan on my own and having a blast, I recruited a few friends to join me the next year.  It’s a good thing I did!

During that race I ended up falling over one of the walls (which was one of the first obstacles). I banged up my arm and knee really good, but I could keep moving so we kept running to next obstacle. The next obstacle had us pull a heavy block up to the top of a tree and then let it down slow.
As I was pulling the block up, I heard a “pop” and I instantly let go of the rope. My arm was killing me and I had a hard time doing burpees. Come to find out later, after finishing the race (monkey bars and all), I actually broke my arm. I was put in a cast at the hospital later that night.

Did you run in grade school, High School or College?
I did run in high school. I was cross country and track all 4 years and even became the captain for the cross country team my Jr and Sr year.

So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past.
  • 5K: 20:14
  • 10K: 42:34
  • 5 miler: 33:54
  • 10 miler: 1:15:32
  • Half Marathon: 1:36:11
  • Marathon: 3:28:14
  • Ironman: 12:27:45
What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them?
Wow. That’s a tough question. So many races, all with a thousand different memories.

I guess if I had to look there are three races that stick out. The most memorable has to be the Chicago Marathon. It was the first major race I did after cancer treatment (only 6 months out of chemo). That race was the thing that really helped me put cancer behind me and allowed me to say, I’m back!
The second would be Ironman Lake Placid since it was my first Ironman. I learned a whole new level of pain and what the body an endure.  And the third has to be the New York City Marathon, specifically when you come off the Manhattan bridge in Manhattan hearing the roar (and I mean roar) of the crowd. That totally gives you goose bumps when you make that turn.

I was told you put on a race where the proceeds go to homes for the troops – can share about the race and the work that is done due to the proceeds from the race?  Also can you share how someone can contribute if they feel led to do so
The race unfortunately doesn’t happen anymore due to me moving to another part of the state and it just being too tough to manage from a far. But we did host the “Dighton Run for Heroes” for 8 years. The race was fully supported by volunteers and donations so we were able to take 100% of the runners registration and donate that back to Homes for Our Troops, a local non-profit that build homes for disabled veterans returning from overseas. The first house they built was in 2005 for a soldier I was deployed with twice, Sgt Peter Damon. Sgt. Damon lost both his arms in Iraq in 2003. Directing a local 5k to support him and others was my way of trying to give back to those heroes. 

Over the 8 years we were able to raise $30,000. I was proud of the work we did for the race and hope one day I’ll be able to put the race director hat on again. But even without the race, people can still donate to Home for Our Troops by going to https://www.hfotusa.org/


Do you have a favorite workout you do?
I like that long run on the weekend. It gets me in a zone that’s easy enough, but still hard enough to maintain over 2 hours or more. The long runs also is the perfect distance where I live to let me run out to the beach and then back home.

What does a regular week of training look like?
Training each week is kind of crazy. I get up at 4:30am to get all my workouts in before work and the family is out of bed.
  • Monday is typically an off day.
  • Tuesday - Swim work outs 35 – 45 minutes roughly 2,500 yards
  • Wednesday -Morning bike ride. 20 – 25 miles, (when is peak training time run at night 3 miles or so)
  • Thursday - Run day 6 – 7 miles (with the headlamp..it’s dark at 4:45am)
  • Friday – Strength training, sometimes some light running after 1 -2 miles
  • Saturday: Long Bike anywhere between 50 and 80 miles, depending on the block
  • Sunday – Long runs
How about a favorite route you like to run?
The run along the Cape Cod canal ranks pretty high. 7 miles out, 7 miles back all while watch ships go by. It’s kinda cool. The canal is only 8 miles from the house so it easy to get there.

What is your favorite distance to run and race?
Even after countless marathons, I think the half is perfect. It’s long enough that it forces you to focus and put in some real good training, but short enough that it allows you to go a bit harder. That then pays off in shorter races like 10 milers and 10k.

For triathlon, that is a bit different. The full Ironman distance is my favorite. It’s just so challenging. Reaching the finish line is something special and get me emotional every time. All that work coming together to accomplish something so awesome.

What shoes do you run in and what do you like about them?
Asics Cumulus or Nimbus hands down, no question. Both those shoes provide great cushion and support for those long runs. After have some very memorable knee pain running in a few marathons on some other shoes, I started running on Asics and never looked back.

How about diet, do you eat any certain way and do things change on race week and race day?
I thought running allowed you to eat whatever you want?? Right? Lol

All jokes aside, I do eat whatever I want (within reason). I do eat fairly healthy at home. Lots of salad, rice, chicken, and fruits. Egg sandwiches (without the bacon) are a solid go to for post long run workouts. Chips are my down fall….I love chips!

Race week I cut out all alcohol and start eating more carb focused foods, so lots of pasta. Race is always oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar, maybe a banana, and a bagel.

Do you have any long-range plans?
Long range, I still want to find my way to Ironman in Hawaii. That one might be more like a 10 year plan, but it’s still a plan.

The biggest thing thought is to keep running these big long distance races to show both my kids and other that when you put the time and energy in you can do amazing things. And that for those post cancer diagnosis or those in treatment now, that there is a life after cancer and it can be amazing, you just need to want it bad enough.

Also think it would be great to pull together so friends to do a rely race or something more team focused. I did a few of those 200+ mile, no sleep kind of races back in the day, but not in a long time.

What do you like best about living and running where you live?
I mentioned it before, the beach! It’s great to smell that ocean (over even jump into it) after a hard run.

Anywhere else you would like to visit to run?
Wow…such a long list of places, but my top three would be 1.) running somewhere out west where there are might be epic desert scenery, 2.) Run in Europe through some small village somewhere and stop for coffee., 3.) Hawaii – Ironman.

Do you have any bucket list races?
I’ve been luck enough to knock a bunch off. This year I had the chance to race in USAT Age Group Nationals and two years ago I checked off Whister, BC in Canada.

But I think the London Marathon is still on that list, any race in Nashville (I like country music), Ironman New Zealand and Hawaii round out the big ones still out there.

What do you struggle with most with regards to running?
Finding the time to fit all the training in AND not feel guilty about taking that time for me and not spending it with family. It takes a lot to pound the pavement for hours at a time, sometimes I can’t help but thing I should be home doing other things.  Getting up a 4:30am is a bit of a struggle too… 😉

What do you see as a trend in running?
I’m starting to see more and more woman only races in both road running and triathlon. These can be great evens that help inspire an empower woman to take on amazing challenges. For example, my wife just completed a woman’s only triathlon. It was really cool.  These races could be great for the sport and might even be that thing that get someone to sign up for their first race.

If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be?
Running can be whatever you want it to be. It can be personal, almost spiritual for some, but you’ll only know if you lace up some shoes and try it.

I hope that people will be able to see someone like myself how went through cancer treatment and is able to still run and race while having fun. Staying health isn’t just for yourself, it’s for you family, you kids, you friends, and you neighbors and you owe to those people to do what you can to be there for them as long as you can. Running is just one small part of that which can lead to so many other exciting experiences and opportunities.

Do you have a website or other social media site you would like to share?
You can follow my training runs on Strava





********You can see past interviews here********




No comments:

Post a Comment