Monday, September 9, 2019

Training Overview #13 – Week of September 2 - 8, 2019 - 38 Days Till R2R2R Time

Overview:
This Week's Bike Ride

The plan for this week was for more running miles than I got but the fact I got what I did is good.  This issue with my Accessory Navicular is a real pain – literally and figuratively.  I did go see my PT,  Josh Harris at  Somerset Spine & Performance Physiotherapy in Somerset KY, as I was heading out to CA for work and would be gone for 6 weeks with the last week to run the R2R2R.  We are pretty sure the issue, while aggravated by the Navicular, is a result of tightness in my right leg as it pulls on the Posterior Tibial Tendon.  On top of that we did a video and can see my left foot lands pretty mid-foot and thus more under my bodies centerline however my right foot, the problem child, tends to heel strike more and thus more in front.  Some of this may come from the tightness in my leg and even in my lower back but never the less I need to work on dealing with the tightness as well as my foot strike.  Thus, while I know many have their opinions on the Pose Method of running, I am going to look at some of the principles of Pose Running to work on a better foot landing.

My view is that often many of the views on running form carry principles that are valid and since we all run differently and biomechanically are often varied it is good to look at all the info out there and work to find what works based on ones own biomechanics.  As an example I have looked at Chi Running and while I do not hold the idea of ones “Chi” some of the principles such allowing gravity to work for you hold true.  Then I have worked through the Balanced Runner Online Camp a couple times and the biggest thing I have learned is to work to better feel how you run rather than just working to run a  certain way and as part of this some of what some may see as excessive movement is more natural and easier on you.  Thus I have heard of the Pose Method and the success some have had with it, as well as arguments against it, so look forward to working through it myself and working to extract what works for me.

That said, most of my runs this week had some soreness – sot so much pain as discomfort.  Actually my foot often feels more discomfort when not moving as running seems to loosen it up some.  The fact it can hurt when sleeping speaks to the connection with tightness in my leg and back.  This is why instead of not running at all I am cutting back on the length of my runs as I did this week, thus a little less miles than originally planned.  I also want to keep the pace down and work on foot strike since I do notice when I can keep my foot plant more correct and fluid it feels better.  One issue I notice is when I do heel strike I can see my foot really jerk towards pronation, and much less when more mid-foot on landing, and while this may be OK for some for me it puts more stress on my Posterior Tibial Tendon where it runs across my Accessory Navicular bone.

As far as riding this week I only had time for one ride and rode fairly easy with a few tempo sections.  I did get new bike shoes as my others were very old and warn so have to get used to them and get the cleats set up.  While they felt fine riding I did have a little knee soreness a few days later and not sure if it is due to the new shoes/cleats or my running but will keep an eye on it.  For as long as I have ridden I hate setting up new shoes as it seems no matter how well your cleats are set up on one set of shoes it is often hard to get them exactly the same on new shoes, even if the same model, which mine are not.  This week I need to see how they feel as I want to ride a 100+ miles this coming weekend so need to make sure they are good.

Diet Notes:
Not much to report on the diet front this week but as I have mentioned online I did take part in a podcast with Tim Barnes, a friend who I ran with one year in college at the University of Arizona.   He has written a book called M360 Clinical Fitness: Metabolic Fitness for Life and has a podcast called Power 2 Learn and we talked about Fueling the Ultra Life.  I always like a good conversation on the subject of fueling, nutrition and metabolic efficiency.

Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides:
Totals:
  • Running Miles –   26.0  Miles
  • Riding Miles – 41.2  Miles
  • Total Time –  5:50  Hours
Conclusions and the Week Ahead:
Once again it was not the week I wanted but the week I got – seem to have a lot of those.  While I think it is important to have a plan, even if it is only week to week, it is important to make sure you are flexible enough to change the plan if the situation changes.  Thus for me I had wanted to run less days but more miles but due to my foot issue it looks like for at least a week or two I will run more days but shorter.  I do have an 18 miler planned for the weekend after next to test out my foot and will adjust from there.

For the coming week the plan is for 30 miles with no run much over 6 miles and maybe a day or two with two shorter runs.  As far as riding I want to ride about 30 during the week to work to get my cleats set up correctly and then this coming weekend ride 100-120 miles.

The goal, as I get closer to the R2R2R run, is to get my aerobic fitness as best I can, mostly on the bike.  However, I do want a run or two of a good length, about 18 miles will probably do, for a couple reasons: First is to get my legs ready for a little more pounding and secondly to make sure as to what shoes I will run at the Grand Canyon.

As always if you have questions let me know in the comments below.


Last Week's Overview #12






No comments:

Post a Comment