Monday, September 23, 2019

Training Overview #15: Week of Sept 16 thru 22, 2019 - Back to Running and 23 Days Till Our R2R2R

Overview:

The plan this week was to start back to running on Thursday and prior to that ride some and walk.  That is exactly what I did with Tuesday being a 3 mile walk that felt fine.  The first run I did was a 4 miler on Thursday and I was a little tentative going out as was not sure how my calf would feel and having not run in a week things were a little stiff with regards to running.  That said while I had my usual soreness in my right foot my calf felt fine and I also had a little tightness in my hamstrings but no pulling.  I then ran 5 on Friday and 6.5 on Sunday and each felt progressively better and while my foot was still sore it does seem to be “less sore.”  Not sure the soreness will be gone soon but does seem to be heading in the right direction.

As far as rides this week I rode my usual mid-week rides to and around Bonelli Park and on each one pushed one of my three laps around with the rest being pretty relaxed.  Monday I just missed my PR on the 6 mile segment I usually ride tempo on being on target to get it but the segment for some reason stops way too close to the intersection so slowed before I got there.  That said on Wednesday’s ride I did get my PR by 25 seconds and may have been under it by even more but there were cars lined up to the intersection so had to slow down sooner.  Good part was that the lap felt good and not a full effort but at a good temp.

On Saturday I rode with a group out of Claremont that I had not ridden with before and it was good to ride with other people.  The ride was actually part of what I rode last week but would be shorter and flatter.  As it was a no drop ride we did have some fast sections but we had some regroups with a stop for coffee at the turn--around point of the ride.  Going out I did not pull much as it was just the way the ride went however I did get a good push down PCH heading into Sunset Beach and then on the way back pulled a good portion of the ride and felt good never really feeling like I was pushing too hard.  I did notice my HR get up to 152+ a few times but felt OK and was good to do at the end of the ride when I had some miles in my legs.  One of the goals of the ride was to again limit calories and carb intake.  I will write more on this below but was good that even with less carbs and some harder sections where my HR was over my fat burning cross over point, not based on an actual test but feel, I still felt I had plenty of energy to the end of the ride.  This ride helped me see that even with less intake of carbs I still had room to elevate my HR without having energy issues.  Probably would not
want to stay there for too long but good to know.  Again, it was good to ride with some other people for once as it does help to be able to get a draft once in a while and also just makes the ride go by more quickly.  Looking forward to riding with the group again in a couple weeks.


Relive 'Nice Flat Saturday Ride'


Diet:
For the long ride this past Saturday the goal was to limit carb intake as well as caloric intake.  While I basically did so I did end up with more calories than last weeks longer ride mostly due to having a Breve Latte when we stopped for coffee at the mid-point of the ride.  On the good side the carbs while higher than last week were still low and even the calories while higher did mostly come from fat.  What I did learn on this ride was that while last week I kept my HR down to an average of 125 this week it was pretty much below 135, average of 131, for most the ride. I did end up in the 150 range a few times and was between 135 and 149 for a number of miles.  The take-away was that while I am sure the higher HR would lead to more carb usage I was still OK with were I was nutritionally.  In a race where I may venture more often into these higher HRs I would make sure to use more carbs to keep the tank topped up but for rides like today the intake I had seemed to work fine.  Next week will be my first long run in some time so will try the same fueling I have used the past two weeks on rides while running and see how it goes.

Pre-Ride:
  • Modified Bullet  Proof Coffee  (MBPC) – Coffee, Butter, Coconut Oil, Collagen, Raw Egg, Heavy Cream and Chocolate Primal Fuel
  • ½ Cup Oatmeal
Ride Fueling;
  • 1.5 – 24oz bottles with a total of 2 Scoops of SFuels-Train (100 Cal, 2gr Carbs)
  • 1 – Justin’s Nut Butter (210 Cal,  8gr Carbs)
  • 1 – 20oz Breve Latte (550 Cal (405 from fat), 24gr Carbs)
  • Total:  860 Cals & 34gr Carbs
Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides:
Totals:
  • Running Miles –  18.7 Miles
  • Riding Miles –  128.2 Miles
  • Total Time –  10:03  Hours
Conclusions and the Week Ahead:
While I would have liked to have been at higher running miles with an R2R2R coming up this is where I am and with how my calf felt last week it is pretty good.  I need to make sure to keep up my mobility work and exercises to keep things going in the correct direction.

My riding is going in the right direction as I seem to be able to go faster and longer with, at least what feels like, the same effort.  I have a ways to go to be ready for  the Dirty Kanza 200 but it is heading in the right direction.  I do think I am going to change from my Shimano pedals to Speedplays as my knees can feel a little strain at times and that was why I went with Speedplays way back when they first came out.  Not sure if I will change them in the next week or wait till I get home but not sure yet.

As far as riding next week the plan is for no more than 60 miles on two days riding.  On both rides I will put in a couple 6 mile tempo sections but the rest will be easy.

With regards to running I am looking for a bigger week this coming week.  I will work to run two a-days on Monday and Wednesday to get in 10 miles each day.  Then on Saturday the plan is to run a long run of 18-20 miles to accomplish two things.  First, to test out my legs and feet.  Secondly to get my running vest adjusted and used to it for running as I have used it for riding but not running yet.  The plan is

The plan is to make a final decision on the R2R2R by a week from this coming Monday with this coming Saturdays run being the last part of the puzzle.  If this was just a race or run I would have no issue just going for it.  But to “just go for it” in the canyon can lead to some costly repercussions and do not want that.


As always if you have questions let me know in the comments below.


Last Week's Overview #14






No comments:

Post a Comment